Monday 2 October 2017

Pretenders 1972 review


I was so pleased that this got DVD release. I was 12 when it first came out and it sparked off a lifetime interest in the Monmouth Rebellion to the extent that I published my own book on the Rebellion The Days of King Monmouth. Hamilton Dyce is excellent as one of the baddies Percy Kirke and the whole series is peppered with eccentric characterizations and all manner of adults who were not nice. There is an element of juvenile horror about it with plague victims and hanging being prevalent. Great to hear them mention Frome. So if you like the Monmouth Rebellion and its lore then this is for you. I am going to stick my neck out and say that the narration style and look of this film was an influence to Kubrick's Barry Lyndon but you'll have to watch it to believe me
review image review image

No comments: