Sunday 1 February 2009

Pretenders (1972)

This HTV series of some 13 parts about the Monmouth Rebellion had a big effect on me as a 12 year old. I used to have the novelisation and everything. The story focussed on a couple of kids trying to claim paternity from the Duke of Monmouth helped by a friendly German mercenary played by Frederick Jaeger. Villainy was provided by Hamilton Dyce as Kirke. I had an episode on Betamax from when it was reshown in 85 but I leant it to someone, which is a shame as the battle of Sedgemoor episode was very atmospheric - all mists and confusion. Anyone who has any material relating to this serial get in touch. Pics from the TV heaven review
Imdb

1 comment:

tradgardmastare said...

I remember this prog with great affection from when I was 12 years old. I don't have any episodes of it I'm afraid but would love to buy it if it came out on dvd...
Alan
Are there in good miltary aspects in the Rochester film with Johnny Depp?